For the past 18+ years, I’ve worked in the field of public relations. A flack. A spin doctor. And, apparently, not much different than your average, everyday hooker.
You see, years ago I came across a top 10 list of reasons PR is similar to prostitution. Along the way, I lost the list. No amount of Google searching could find it. Until today.
So, in the spirit of David Letterman, I present you “The Top 10 Ways PR is Like Prostitution”:
(Image via Creative Commons courtesy of Davide Ferro.)
1. Your ‘customers’ are called clients…like a prostitute.
2. You work in weird shifts…like a prostitute.
3. You get paid to make clients happy…like a prostitute.
4. The client pays a lot of money, but your employer keeps almost every penny…like a prostitute.
5. You are rewarded for fulfilling your client’s dreams…like a prostitute.
6. When you meet the client you always have to be perfectly groomed…like a prostitute.
7. But when you go back home it seems like you are coming back from hell…like a prostitute.
8. The client always wants to pay less but expects incredible things from you…like a prostitute.
9. When people ask you about your job, you have difficulty explaining it…like a prostitute.
10. Everyday when you wake up, you say “I’m not going to spend the rest of my life doing this”…like a prostitute.